Wednesday 4 March 2009

Friendster

Rather then describe all of the applications of friendster I am going to review the applications that differ from the other social networking sites because what I have noticed with friendster is that they have applied features that differ from the other social networking sites.

I have always heard about friendster through word of mouth but as social networking was not popular to my age group at the time of the website launch I have never had no particular interest. Friendster was launched in 2002 and so is the oldest networking site that I have reviewed. Friendster has all of the standard features that you would aspire a networking site to have but with also added features.

Friendster has added a forums application that I have not seen on many sites. From what I can see the forums can be on any subject that the user wants from economy to food. Having these forums is a good way to meet new people who have the same interests as you. Facebook has a group’s application, which some people could say, is like a forum but I would disagree to this. The forums that I viewed the users inputting comments are really interested on the topic of discussion.

What I am not so keen on in friendster is that I feel that the site is trying to deliver too much on a site. There is so much competition to be the best networking site that I feel that friendster has tried to pick out the pieces that the users want and have stuck them all in to their site making it ore jumbled. For example one application that I spotted was the ‘avatar’ but what I question is why do you need to have an avatar of yourself when the majority of the time the users wanting to see your profile will not be looking for your avatar but your profile picture and your photo albums.

Friendster was founded to create safer, more effective way to communicate to different people but I feel that this has changed over the years with more networking sites being launched I believe that it is not about creating a safe environment for users but more how you can attract more users to your site.

Looking back at the sites that I have reviewed they all started with a purpose but I believe that the popularity competition has taken over and its not what the users want but what they can do to make more profits.

No comments: