Saturday 1 May 2010

PRP - Eighth artefact, Moshi Monster

After quite a long time of searching I have finally found the site that I want to use for my artefact and that is Moshi Monsters (Designed by Mind Candy). This site has been designed for an audience aged around 6-15.

"Our intention when creating Moshi Monsters was to a produce a ground breaking new entertainment experience that would be fun, safe and educational for kids of all ages."

The site has just hit the 15 million user mark and its been said that Gordon Brown's children are addicted to the game. When I enter the site it became apparent that you had to pay membership to visit the whole of Moshi Monster land but there was also a free membership option that allowed the users access to certain areas of Moshi Monster land.

When I signed up the first few steps were to design my monster. It was made clear to me plus any new member that rules had to be obeyed, if broken you are out of Moshi Monster land. Following the designs and parental confirmation your are free to play. This could be an issue when asking participants to do this test.

Once in Moshi Monster land I could immediately see why the younger target audience would find this appealing. The design used has bright and bold colours, the general illustrations used are fun and with the added animations makes this virtual world for children an enjoyable experience. The main educational part is held the 'puzzle palace'. What is good about these games is they have a rewards system. To get money (or rox) the player has to get as many questions right in order to raise more rox.

I think that the rewards system will work quite well and it is for all of the reasons above that I intend to use this site as my test subject. The only issue that I may have is that the site appears to have separated the educational games away from the other activities, although this is a minor issue (just being picky).

No comments: