Tuesday 20 April 2010

PRP - Seventh artefact, First design attempt

Ok having a look at the other spelling websites I decided to create a simple spelling test although I am not sure as to whether this will be the final choice. As previously said I am opting to go for a more learning appeal as opposed to the fun factor so this first design is a simple see the word and spell the word.

Remembering back when I was younger a method was used to help children spell; look, cover, write and check. This is the type of game that I am trying to create but on the computer. The design below shows an example of what the game currents looks like.



I decided to use a green background because the previous artefact showed that green represents 'creativity' and is overall a more neutral colour. The game consists of mainly four frames:

- The spelling
- The writing of the answer
- The correct screen to move onto next spelling
- The incorrect answer to retry the spelling

Sticking to the theme of colours I used red to signal that the participant made an incorrect answer, green to signal a correct colour and blue, as the neutral colour to check the spelling. The aim of this was make the participant aware of which button represented each move they make.



When coding timings for the game, the initial time was 3 seconds to look at the spelling however after continuous testing it proved to be too long a time to look at the spelling and so it was decided that the time was brought down to 2 seconds. This first initial game has been completed however I am not entirely happy with this outcome and I feel that it is the design that needs to be worked on.

I am going to include more imagery to the games to see if this makes any improvement but I also think I need to add another element to the game. Perhaps including a sentence that shows the user an example as to what the spelling means, which could potentially improve reading skills as well as spelling.

No comments: