Thursday 8 November 2007

Single-camera video production

Looking at Deborah's reading list I noticed that this seemed to be the main book that she wanted us to read and having briefly scanned through it i'm glad that I did.



'single-camera video production' written by Robert B. Musburger gives us the basic introduction about how single camera video production works. From the start of the book Musburger explains in detail the different effects that could effect a production, however these are not about the camera in any but about we ourselves. Musburger explains how our senses are more powerful then the equipments sources. The other basic information that is included for example is the frequency, measuring sound/video and amplitude. All these help us to understand what we have to take into consideration in order to make a successful film.

Like other books I've read Musburger explains the different pieces of equipment needed, this to me would help the production team see what type of equipment they needed rather then just assuming they know.

However my favourite chapter is one of the shortest chapters but links to what I'm doing in my project and that is "The production process: Preproduction". In this chapter everything is explained from what planning stages are used (proposal, treatment, script etc)Before I read this book I did not realise that there was so many different types of scripts. The chapter also shows information that was not mentioned in our seminars i.e. location scouting/plotting and shows a strong example of a schedule.

The final chapters are about the involvement in the production itself. This also includes the lighting effects (three point lighting) framing, cover shots and what found interesting the camera effects that the camera itself can make.

I have only read this book briefly however from what I have read has given me more information and has made me interested so I am going to take a look at this book in more detail to help me gain a stronger idea about the world of single-camera video production.

No comments: