Tuesday 3 February 2009

Design layout continued

After designing my initial sketches I thought that I could get a better idea of what my designs would look like on the computer. I have designed a variety of designs to give out a different impression/theme. I also showed a few people my designs to get a different opinion on what they thought and I thought it would be helpful but in the end I was left with mixed opinions leaving me confused, so I think before I make anymore decisions I will show my designs to a few more people to get a stronger view.



This was only a rough layout but I was mainly working around colour because I wanted to see what colours would give out what impression. I wanted a new target audience based mainly around people who would like to go out in the evening. For this reason I used the colour purple. I used this because I feel tbat this represents a romantic colour. I was trying to avoid using dark colours but after researching into some restaurants I noticed that black actually complimented the romantic/sophisticated theme very well.



And for that reason I designed a web site containing mainly dark colours (black and grey) looking at different sites I realised that the darker website used stronger more powerful imagery so, thats what I did and I have to say that it works really well. This was one of the more popular designs. What I like about this design was the pattern that I managed to find on the internet. Its subtle yet adds alot more detail to the design.



I decided to go for the complete opposite and have a design with a much more lighter and neutral look. I was planning to go for a plain white background (like first design) however wanting to be adventurous I decided to go with another image, this also received a positive result. I brought the neutral colours from the background forward and created navigation button. It all compliments each other well but I'm not sure whether it gives out the theme that I want.



The final design was probably the most popular. I got the idea from the website zizzi. The main content is directly in the center of the page. Having a neutral background I used a more bolder and powerful foreground that could catch the users eyes. I wanted to experiment with both flash and html and that is why I would input a slideshow. What I like about this design is that it is more simple.
Now that I have designed some pages I am going to try and mix the colours because from the feedback that I receive people like the 4th design yet they like the dark colours, so maybe mixing them together will get the site that I want.

2 comments:

Hi Im Kirsty.... said...

I persoanlly prefer the first design with the larage image. i liked the colour scheme and the patterned background.

jjwp88 said...

The last design: I like the use of images, the eye is drawn to these and gives you an immediate sense of what the website s for. Not too sure they should be cut off though, will they scroll across the page??

The transparency in the background also leads your eye in and adds depth although perhaps it could be a little bit stronger as there is quite a large contrast between that and the rest of the page. Personally i would try out some different font types and perhaps move the links above the pictures