Tuesday 24 February 2009

Flash games Initial designs

I am starting to design my flash game and its only occurred to me that the last time I posted a blog about my flash game was quite a while back and since then my ideas have changed dramatically.

Initially I wanted to create a shooting game like the 'yeti sports' game that I had previously reviewed. However after looking through more games I came across another game called 'spin the black circle' which I have also reviewed (please refer back to older blog entries) and since I have found this game I have been addicted to playing it. And so for this reason I am creating a maze; with the use of gravity to move the ball around the maze and the user having to steel the maze rather then the ball to get the ball to its end destination.

I created a few design ideas on Photoshop that I thought could work with what I wanted to do:



For the design above my first initial thoughts was what does a maze look like? and straight away I thought of a traditional maze and, that was square. When designing this I started off by only inputting boxes and that the user would only have to weave around the boxes however when thinking about every game that I played and enjoyed I had a challenge and so I thought why not put dead ends and traps to slow the user from getting to the end destination.
Looking back the design I was starting to not like it as much; and I thought that the reason for this was because of the shape. I'm not too keen on the square shape and so maybe creating a maze in a different shape would interest me more.



For the next design I took onto account the shape idea and created a circular maze. What I liked about this idea was that I found it much harder to see where I wanted to go. I am not too sure on the reason for this but if it adds challenge to the game then its a bonus. I did not add any elements to this design I just kept it a basic layout.
Looking at both designs I feel that I could incorporate both designs; with the shape of my second design and the traps and dead ends of my first I think that I am onto a winner. As you can see in the second design I have added a timer. I am not too sure whether I will use it as a count down timer or a best time timer but either way it will add a little more impact to the game.

Having chose my design I thought that I would show you what I have done so far on flash.


As you can see I have only created a very VERY basic game but at this moment in time I am trying to get to grips with the actionscript; to be honest I am understanding quite alot of it considering a few months back I just thought that it looked like a jumble of words.
As for progress on the coding I have so far managed to get all of the maze to rotates left and right using the arrow keys. I was getting trouble with centering the circles but that was just a small glitch.

As you can see here this is the coding that I have done so far. What it means is that I have given each wall a rotation function and every time I click on the left or right arrow it will turn that way.
At the moment I am trying to work with velocity variable to make my ball move on its own but I am finding it quite hard at the moment, still I will not give up and hopefully I will get the coding right.
Just to also let everyone know this is not my final design. I am using this as my basic design to work on, once I have it all working I will then focus on the design view, I'm thinking maybe an Egyptian lost tomb theme but could that be too cliche? I shall find out soon.

No comments: