Tuesday 17 February 2009

Spin the black circle game (the good game!)

The spin the black circle game was a game that I came across on the off chance when searching for ideas for my flash project. The reason for why I have chosen this game is because it has a simple aim, and that is to get the ball into the hole by rotating the black wheel.

The concept sounds simple enough however the user has gravity against them, so whilst moving the black wheel the user also has to consider what happens when you rotate the wheel. To add more complications to the game some of the walls have spikes or flames to prevent you from getting to the finish. From my description above the game does sound complicated but the only keys that you have to use are the left and right keys on the keyboard; that is to just turn the wheel.

The graphics that have been used are simple. In my opinion I feel that they are quite bland and not very appealing to the eye however what I noticed whilst playing this game was that I was so engrossed that I did not even notice the surrounding graphics. I can understand the design concept (the game name) but if I was to redesign the game design then I would give it more of a theme. However overall this design has not effected what the users think about the game itself and that is why I think this game is so successful.

They have added some sound effects which I personally did not listen to much because I felt that it was not needed. I was so addicted to playing the game that I found the music more distracting then 'adding effect' to the game itself. Another feature that made this game more interesting is the timer. Every round you are timed to get to the finish; every time that I failed I had the need to not only complete the game itself but also beat my previous time.

I always thought that a successful game would have a good design, sound and concept but I was wrong, I noticed that the simplest games are the more successful games. I think the reason for this is because small online flash games are for people wanting to play just a quick game be it in there lunch break or spare time; they want a game that they can start playing straight away and for that reason I have chosen this game to be my successful one. I have tested this game on a few people and the reactions were all the same as mine; they have the need to complete it. The obstacles used are simple but the user has to decide how far to rotate the wheel and that is why it is difficult.

This is the type of game that I intend to design because it has all the criteria that online game need. Its quick, simple yet hard and addictive at the same time.

No comments: