Thursday 11 February 2010

PRP - Third Arefact ideas?

After the second artefact presentation it was clear that I was still unsure as to which route to take for the third. Luckily Simon realized this and so on Tuesday we had a talk as to which direction I should take, and through some guidance I know what I have to do.

Simon pointed out that this is a research project and made me realize that I need to know what makes the game successful, I know how the educators feel and I know what the children like so now I think its time to look at what aspects of a game makes a game successful i.e. sound, levels, the interaction etc over the next few artefacts I will pick these things out and hopefully be able produce strong research to show and explain how these games engage these children.



Researching last night I found a range of games for children (aimed at 5-6) the most popular games I found were memory games, number games, making/building games, guessing games and interactive stories.

Each game had strong aspects that are all similar but could potentially be the reason why they are so successful. These aspects being sound, simple and clear instructions, levels of progression and interaction. Through discussion it was agreed that to test some of these aspects out I will have to create new games but not necessarily on the computer.

I have decided for the next artefact I am going to create a memory card game, the children will have to match the picture up with the word. I am going to be looking at their 'interaction' with the game. I want to see if they enjoy playing the game. As I am not too sure at which level the children are in terms of spelling I will play the games in two different ways. I will first perhaps have the cards showing to see whether the children know how to spell, once this has been done I will then produce a second game however this time the cards will be turned over and they have to find the cards.

From doing this I hope to see how enthusiastic the children are towards the game, it would also act as a form of group work like I said in my research project, games can help children gain group working skills. I would like to analyse the way they respond to the game and hopefully will show me what makes a memory game an enjoyable experience in the childrens eyes.

No comments: